MedECC’s objectives are:
- To gather the scientific community working on climate change in the whole Mediterranean Basin. This includes building a bridge between existing research structures and programs and facilitating data-sharing through existing or new fora and platforms.
- To update and consolidate the best scientific knowledge about climate and environmental changes in the Mediterranean Basin and render it accessible to policy-makers, key stakeholders and citizens.
- To contribute to future IPCC, IPBES or related assessments in the Mediterranean Basin.
- To build a regional science-policy interface on climate and environmental change by bridging the gap between research and decision-making, contributing to the improvement of policies at national, regional, and local level by providing consolidated scientific assessments on particular issues and by responding to requests by decision- makers.
- To identify possible gaps in the current research on climate change and its impacts in the Mediterranean and interact with funding agencies for the development of new research programs to fill these gaps.
- To help building the capacity of scientists from Southern and Eastern Mediterranean Countries (SEMCs) at the international level and standards, encouraging training, research and development efforts of these countries.
The intended outputs of the MedECC include:
- Regular and comprehensive “state of the art” reports about climate and environmental change for the entire Mediterranean Basin, including summaries for decisionmakers for approval by government representatives.
- Special reports on specific issues, sectors or scientific domains selected after the consultation with policy-makers.
- Dialogues between the scientific community, decision-makers and stakeholders on specific issues of environmental change in the Mediterranean Basin.
- Other outputs may be possible according to the opportunities or demands by stakeholders.
- Scientific workshops co-hosted by MedECC and research institutions or MedECC supporting institutions.
- Training for decision-makers, professionals and other stakeholders involved in environmental change mitigation and adaptation.